Saturday, May 16, 2009

St. Pancras Station, London
2:12 pm

Despite seeing on CNN—while I sat in JFK airport—that three additional public schools are closed in New York City due to swine flu, I managed to make it safely to London. (Actually, hold on—how long would it take to see symptoms?) I did see three women wearing face masks. (Two of them were together—maybe they only count as one unit of likeminded individuals.) Let’s hope that this epidemic doesn’t get any worse, as it’s expected to.

My friend Jan picked me up from the airport and drove me up to Northeast London, where she lives. It was really weird to drive through an old mission area, since it's funny the details you forget when you remember a place. It was great to see and catch up with an old friend though.


Right now I am at St. Pancras station waiting for the Eurostar to Brussels. The unruffled modern European feel of the station is somewhat of a contrast to the cluttered cornershops that are ubiquitous in Britain (and probably in much of Europe, I suspect).

No comments:

Post a Comment